Depression Is More Than Being Sad
We all have moments in our lives in which we feel sad or down, This happens due to disappointments in life, loss, or grief. Feeling sad, blue, or down in the dumps at times usually passes within a few days or a couple of weeks. This sadness is not necessarily depression.
It Affects Your Life and the Lives of Those Around You
Depression causes deep emotional distress and affects most aspects of your daily functioning. You may have difficulty getting up to go to work, getting work done, caring for your kids, going days without showering, or keeping your environment clean. Depression causes pain for the person experiencing it and your close family and friends. Depression can result in the strain or loss of significant relationships. It’s much more than ‘feeling sad,’
Depression can cause you to feel:
• Hopeless about your life and your future
• Worthless, as if you don’t matter
• As if even the simplest of things requiring effort are tiring (the physical effort to get out of bed, or brush your teeth)
• A loss of interest in activities you once enjoyed
• Tired, a lack of energy, wanting to sleep a lot, or so tired you have trouble falling asleep (yes insomnia can result from depression)
• The need to cry, and sometimes you’re not even sure what you’re crying about
• Anger, irritability, easily agitated, or frustrated
• Trouble concentrating, difficulty with focus
• Unexplained body aches and pains
• Changes in eating habits, such as eating too much or too little
Depression is not laziness or unwillingness to ‘suck it up’ or ‘get a grip.’ You’ve probably heard people say this to you, and they may mean well, but are mistaken. Depression can last for 3 months or for many years. The timeframe is different for each individual affected.
Know that depression absolutely CAN be improved. Your mood can be lifted and you can get your lifestyle back. That is why therapy works. You can get to a place of feeling and functioning better.
Do you feel like you may be experiencing depression? Let’s talk….schedule your FREE consultation today.